Bruce Arena has stepped down from his role as head coach and sporting director of the New England Revolution after he was placed on administrative leave for an investigation into “insensitive and inappropriate remarks.”
Arena was placed on leave on July 30, and MLS announced Saturday night that it had confirmed “certain” allegations against the coach, who resigned.
“It was announced earlier this evening that Bruce Arena has resigned as Sporting Director and Head Coach of the New England Revolution,” MLS said in its statement. “Arena was placed on administrative leave on July 30 pending a review into allegations that he made insensitive and inappropriate remarks. As a result of the investigation, which confirmed certain of these allegations, should Arena wish to pursue future employment within MLS, he must first submit a petition to the Commissioner.
“MLS is committed to safe and welcoming work environments and expects all employees of the League and its clubs to conduct themselves appropriately in the workplace.”
According to The Athletic, the allegations stem from complaints filed by assistant coach Richie Williams.
Williams has been coaching the team, which played to a 1-1 tie on Saturday against Minnesota United, on an interim basis.
Arena confirmed his resignation in a statement Saturday and said he has work to do after making “mistakes.”
“I know that I have made some mistakes and moving forward, I plan to spend some time reflecting on this situation and taking corrective steps to address what has transpired,” Arena said.
Arena had been New England’s coach since 2019 and finished with a 71-48-37 record.
He coached three other MLS teams, including the Red Bulls (2006-07), and won five MLS Cups.
He led the U.S. Men’s National Team in two different stints (1998-2006, 2016-17), leading the team to the quarterfinals of the World Cup in 2022.